CIB - Inter Library
Center, University Libraries System of Alma Mater Studiorum, Bologna
CIB - Inter Library Center, University Libraries System of Alma Mater
Studiorum, Bologna University
Viale Filopanti, 7
Tel. 051 2094260
Fax 051 2094266
Department of Education Sciences - Library
Tel. 051 20 98540
(Information literacy for historians)
Podaliri (Training on legal and business databases)
Claudio Fabbri (Bibliographic
(How to search in the library)
Tel. 0547 339830
Labanti (Online bibliographic searching)
Gianmario Merizzi (Seminar
on musical bibliography)
Tel.: 051 223943
Federica Rossi (Laboratory:
introduction to library use and bibliographic searching)
During the academic year many university
libraries organise user training sessions.
university library users (university students, PhD students)
Level: basic, advanced and specialised
literacy for historians
Laboratory: information competencies for History
- June 2006
Level: basic and
Presentation of the CIL tutorial
(2 hours each)
OPAC Sebina, Bologna pole, Index SBN (National Library System);
MetaOpac Azalai, Karlsruhe
catalogue of periodicals, e-journals, full-text platforms.
text databases (2 hours each): Patrologia Latina Database, Monumenta
Germaniae Historica (eMGH 3); Library of Latin Texts (CLCLT 5).
Bibliographic databases (2 hours each): Historical Abstracts; DYABOLA (Dynamically
Accumulating Databases on Objects and Literature About Antiquity).
Ebrary - Interdisciplinary full text database collecting documents of
different kind: e-books, e-journals, musical documents, maps and reports.
on legal and business databases
Course - May-June 2006
Level: basic and
The University Libraries of the Law, Economics, Business and
Statistics areas provide PhD students with training on legal and
business databases. The course includes 3 modules:
- Module 1: Bloomberg and Datastream, two essential tools for analysing
financial markets (about 2 hours each session);
- Module 2: Guided tour of the Proquest /Abi inform (Introduction: 1 and
half hours; Proquest /Abi inform: 2 hours);
- Module 3: The main international legal and business database:
Lexis-Nexis (2 hours).
3 hours) - May 2006
everyone interested in retrieving EU legal documentation
The European Documentation Centre of
Bologna offers seminars (3 hours each) in order to present
EUR-Lex: European Union law,
the new EU legal portal
The course aims at providing the basic competencies
in correctly interrogating the EUR-Lex portal and effectively using
3 hours) - April-May 2006
Target groups: Veterinary Medicine students and PhD students
Each month the G. B. Ercolani Library organizes a course on bibliographic
searching for Veterinary Medicine students and PhD students. It aims
at providing the participants with basics on CAB Abstracts, a database
specialised for Veterinary and Agricultural Sciences.
Theoretical part of the course (about 90 minutes) - Main topics:
- The scientific databases and their use: a general outline (search procedures,
techniques, and strategies);
- CAB Abstracts: contents and structure;
- How to use the search interface WebSPIRS 5.03;
- How to use the online catalogues in order to locate documents.
Practical part: exercises with the support of librarians.
How to search in the Library
(duration: 4 hours
in all) -
university students (Psychology)
Level: basic and
The Library of the Faculty of Psychology
organises no- credit courses on the use of information resources
available at the library and on the net.
It consists of 2 modules:
(2 hours): introduction to bibliographic searching in the online catalogues; it
is propaedeutic to the second one.
Advanced (2 hours): searching
the databases; disciplinary databases (Psychology, Social Science, Medicine).
Online bibliographic searching
Books and journals for university study
within reach of
1 and half hours) - February-April 2006
university students (freshers)
The Central Biomedical Library organises
basic courses for freshers on online bibliographic searching.
on musical bibliography
Musical documents and texts available on the Internet
Credit-earning (2 CFU) seminar (duration: about 30 hours in all) - February-April
Target group: students
of the Department of Music and Show (esp. students attending the course of
History of Music)
Level: advanced and
The course consists of about 30 hours in all:
- 15 hours in presence;.
- about 15 hours of self learning / distance education.
Musical text, musical notations, musical bibliography and their
peculiarities: a synthetic historical perspective;
- Requirements of the musical edition as musicological source;
- Content typologies and online availability of written
musical texts (sites, databases, digital libraries); different procedures,
purposes and publishing policies; free circulation and copyright law limits;
- The most widespread digital formats for written music and their telematic distribuibility; technological requirements for consulting and
handling them from the scholars;
- Tools and methodologies for searching and evaluating online
- Bibliographic citation of documents.
to library use and bibliographic searching
Credit-earning (5 CFU) seminar (duration: 30 hours in all) - AY
2005-2006: 1st Semester - December 2005-April
basic and advanced
The laboratory was set up by the Library of the Department of Italian Language
and Literature together with the teaching of Bibliography and Biblioteconomy.
It aims at providing students with tools essential for bibliographic searching.
The laboratory gives 5 educational credits (CFU) to students
attending Language and Literature, History and Linguistics
degree courses. The attendance is mandatory for the recognition of the
The seminar consists of 15 units (2 hours each):
- Libraries and their services 1: a reference framework
- Libraries and their services 2: front office and back office
- Bibliographic directories
2: biographic research
- Consultation rooms in Bologna 1: the University Library
- Consultation rooms in Bologna 2: the Library of the Archiginnasio
- Consultation rooms in Bologna 3: the Library of the Department of Italian
Language and Literature
- OPACs 1: introduction
- OPACs 2: search exercises
- Online and off-line databases 1: introduction
- Online and off-line databases 2: disciplinary databases for Language and
- Paper and electronic periodicals
- The semantic search on the web: tools
- Experiences in comparison: advanced search paths
- The paratext and the scientific publications: indexes and bibliographies
library instruction - user education information
competencies use of scientific databases - training for university students
training for PhD students laboratory for History students seminar for
Veterinary Medicine students no-credit course for Psychology students
credit earning courses for Humanities students disciplinary
databases EU legal documentation
library use information resources bibliographic searching online
bibliographic searching - musical bibliography - semantic search on the